[NTLK] Ramblings and Wishes

From: Dave Bonhoff (gtidave_at_golden.net)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 21:44:19 PDT

Hi list!

I think that I'm finally at the point where I can retire my Handspring Visor Deluxe. My MP20OOU is 90% to where I want it to be, thanks to all of you, your developments, and your websites. Special Mention goes to the wizards who have brought us Simple Mail (Simon Bell), Newt's Cape and newtVNC (Steve Weyer), and WaveLAN (Hiroshi Noguchi). These are the things which make my Newt able to replace my Powerbook in day to day use and amaze most everyone. I'm also proud to say I've been wearing my NTLK T-shirt regularly and display a prototype NTLK button on my bag. Thanks Victor!

When I say I'm 9O% there, I'm having a few issues and have a few wishes:

- On occasion Simple Mail will have trouble retrieving mail from my ISP. It will connect, deleate 'deleated' messages and then hang while checking for new mail. I will not be able to dowload new messages to my Newt until I clear out my mailbox by downloading all my messages to my Powerbook. I'm guessing that this is an issue with my ISP. Thoughts?

-I seem to have to reset my Newt at least once a day, usually due to poor performance,'61 errors, or not being able to 'power down', switch off, what ever you want to call it... Yes, I've loaded and deleated lot's of stuff while getting familiar with what my Newt can do for me. I'm sure that I have packages installed that I have no idea what they belong to! I have used Prefs Cleaner, but...

My wishes:
- I'd love to be able to use the IRDA modem built into my newer Nokia 3360 cell phone. There is no serial data cable available, so at this time, I'm restricted to a land line... (it's a wish!)

- As others have requested, a signal Strength Meter and possibly something for 'War Walking' to find open access points.

- I've installed the HWR package for Works, but find myself needing keyboard functions like tab and shift characters. Is there a package which will do this, or do I need to get a keyboard?

- Speed! I've been pondering accelerating my Newt in the hopes that I will be able to download webpages and email faster and save my batteries, especially when using my wireless card. The only thing holding me back is the suggestion that Mr. PCBMan has something coming.

- Storage. My 4MB flash card is full. A 32MB flash card may do everything I'll ever need, but I'm going to wait for the ATA driver so that I can use a 256MB or bigger CF Card for cached webpages, maps, books, and whatever else suits my fancy!

- I'd like to replace the functionality of Avant-GO on the Visor with Newt's Cape on the Newt, but have yet to figure out how to download linked pages without also following advertisements and other off site links.

Well, that is enough rambling for now. Thanks again folks!
Dave