Re: [NTLK] Ramblings and Wishes

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_jameswhale.com)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 12:14:06 PDT

At 01:49 PM 9/13/2002 -0400, Dave Bonhoff <GTIDave_at_golden.net> wrote:
>I rarely use my modem. This problem occurs when using either my ethernet card
>or WiFi...

Wacky.

If you're inclined to further investigation, you might try the following:

Using PT100, open a Telnet session to your POP3 server on port 110.

When the connection is established, enter "user [your mailbox name]"
When prompted, enter "pass [your password]"
After message "+OK [user] has x messages (x octets)", enter "uidl".
(note: I have to press the "Send" button in PT100 after each command to get
the server to see my commands)

Review the output. If this command runs successfully, you'll see a series
of lines consisting of a string of HEX digits, one line for each message in
your POP mailbox. And a single period on a line by itself at the end to
mark the end of the output.

If your problem is the same as the one I was having, the UIDL output will
never complete (you'll never get the period on a blank line). This is what
causes SimpleMail to hang -- it's waiting for that delimiter that never comes.

One thought that just came to mind: how are you routing to the Internet
from your local network? Are you always on the same network when this
problem occurs, or have you experienced the same problem from different
networks? Maybe this can be solved by changing an MTU value in your router?

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Bond Shepherd
jbond_at_jameswhale.com