Re: NTLK pocket quicken

From: Jon Glass (jonglass@usa.net)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 09:20:05 CDT

on 9/9/00 7:11 PM, Jason M. Smith at smithja@cs.unc.edu wrote:

> Before I go dl, install, and test PocketMoney, perhaps you
> could tell me this... when I first tried PocketQuicken, I was *very*
> dissappointed to find out that the Categories didn't sync... I have a
> large number of custom categories that I've set up in Quicken over
> the past few years, and I couldn't get them sync'd into the MP. Or,
> if I entered them in the MP, they were lost en route to Quicken.
>
> Can PocketMoney handle this?

Pocket Money does not sync with Quicken, but exports qif files, which
Quicken can then read. I believe it can now export multiple-account qif
files now, as well. What you do with PocketMoney is simply make sure that
your categories in PM exactly match the names of categories in Quicken. You
might have to rename some, because I think that PM limits category name
lengths. I really don't remember. I did it so long ago. Either way, once you
have your category names, you are set.

The newest version of Exchange, the program that does the exporting from PM
also imports. This means that, if you can create a qif file of categories,
you can do a simple import. This would really make things easier.

As far as PM is concerned, it has some nice features that PQ lacks, such as
foreign currency exchange. You write in the amount in local currency, and
then write in the current exchange rate, and viola! You have the amount in
your own currency. Also, PM supports split transactions, which means you no
longer have to enter your tips as a separate entry. It is also much more
flexible when it comes to filtering your views, and reports. It can even
print checks! Lastly, it will import your PQ data. Worth trying.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland