Re: NTLK Re: Wireless Network(Proxim Question

From: negril (negril@internect.com)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 05:34:39 EDT

Yes, you read the post correctly. My original goal for had the Proxim
Symphony wireless networking setup was to share an ISDN connection among
the computers at home (Laptops, desktops). This began almost a year ago.
I upgraded to DSL last September when it became available in my area. So I
have some experience in using the product.

I came across the drivers for Newton a few months ago and just tried it out
of curiosity It worked and quite well at that. Since then I bought a card
just for the Newton which now sits permanently in the other PCMCIA slot.

At home I have the Symphony Cordless Ethernet Bridge to tie the wireless
devices to the wired ones. At work and when travelling I stick a Sony VAIO
505 laptop fitted with a PC wireless card on to whatever network I am near
to act as the bridge. If its the corporate LAN, I will use a USB to
Ethernet device on the laptop.

As far as performance goes, the Newton becomes even more useful when you
can connect at these speeds. The raw speed on the card is 1.6Mbps.

The URL for the Symphony products is at:

http://www.proxim.com/symphony/products/index.shtml

The only product that is not part of my network is the Cordless Modem so I
cannot say how well it would work.
BTW I use the dipole antenna instead of the clip-on one (Buy.com has them)
on the Symphony card. It is more convenient, increases the range plus it
makes the Newton looks cooler.

at that.network setup to share the At 11:01 PM 4/8/00 -0500, you wrote:
>To the member who mentioned using Proxim Symphony equioment,
>
>I accidently deleted the message that was sent from the member who said
>they were using Proxim wireless equipment, so I'm not sure who it was. Did
>I read it correctly, are you using a Proxim SYMPHONY PCMIA card with the
>RangeLan Newton Driver? I was unaware that this driver worked for that
>card, it is MUCH less expensive than the RangeLan! Which ethernet bridge
>are you using? Could you give a little more info on how well it performs?
>
>Thanks
>tmccain

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!