NTLK ADVICE : MessagePad Touchscreen and Case Cleaning

From: DrNewton (DrNewton@grapevine.net)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 14:02:53 EST

Hello Fellow NewtonTalkers,

In NewtonTalk 263, Oz Suguitan commented on MYQ's reply :

Your eM@il from tech_ed@yahoo.com on 3/2/00 11:34 AM said this:

>> Water on a tissue works good. Add a little
>> isopropyl alcohol to dissolve
>> grease and such. Put the liquid on a very soft,
>> lint free cloth or soft tissue
>> first, then the tissue to the screen.
>>
>> myq
>>

>Oz replied :

>Doing that will destroy the screen, and harden/wear off the rubber
>coating on the case of the Newton.

>Don't do it!

>We've.....

>( meaning Oz, staff of 1 ;> )

>been refurbing Newtons for quite a while now, and we've found there
>are only a few solvents that you can use on high quality materials like a
>Newton screen (or any other computer equipment) without destroying them.

>Rules of Thumb:

>DON'T use any kind of alcohol, or any product that contains any amount of
alcohol.
>DON'T use any kind of ammonia, or any product that contains any amount of
ammonia.
>DO use a cleaner that is water based.
>DON'T spray cleaner directly on the surface of the Newt, doesn't matter how
much faster, easier, or whatever.

NewtonOz Approved Newton Cleaners:.............

Well.......

Oz, you REALLY need to read the "Getting Started" manual ( pages vii and
viii ) shipped with all MP2x00's

Isopropyl alcohol is FINE ( recommended by Apple ) and should be used with a
soft cloth ( like eyeglass cleaning cloth ) to clean both the screen and
case

A bottle of 70 or 90% isopropyl alcohol is quite inexpensive and can be
found at most pharmacy's. Most carry eyeglass cleaning cloth as well.

I've used 90% isopropyl for a long time.

Note :

I often read postings from Newton owners wanting to "polish out" scratches
on their touchscreen.

This is not possible. Do not attempt it. You will only cause a hazy spot
around your scratch.

Why ? The top layer of the touchscreen writing surface is POLYESTER ( a
relatively soft vinyl / plastic ).

Kits intended to "polish" music CD's work with them because they are made of
hard plastic.
The kits either fill in the scratch or melt the surface of the hard plastic.

Best Regards,
David Watson

a.k.a. "Dr. Newton", "Digital Ocean Dave"

drnewton@kc.net
http://www.kc.net/~drnewton
Provider of the MP2000 Upgrade

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the