Re: NTLK ADVICE : MessagePad Touchscreen and Case Cleaning

From: NewtonOz (ozs@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 15:11:46 EST

Your eM@il from chrup@earthlink.net on 3/5/00 11:36 AM said this:

>I have seen a friends Newton has a small blotch of something - looks
>like mold growing - behind the screen on her MP130. It's only visible
>when the backlight is on and it can not be wiped off, since we can't
>get to it short of opening the Newton - which I don't want to do.
>It's not guaranteed that I can get to the spot, even if I open the
>Newton.
>
>Has anybody else seen this before? I bought this Newton about 2 or 3
>months ago on eBay, so I don't know how it was treated in the past.
>Also, I didn't really notice the spot until about 3 weeks ago, so it
>might have been there before, it might not. What might be causing
>this? what are the dangers? what is a possible cure? The Newton
>itself doesn't seem to be effected by it, everything is working fine.

There are several causes for this, but the most likely is that the Liquid
in the LCD is leaking between the backlight reflector foil and the glass
of the LCD. The only way to fix it is to replace the whole screen. I've
seen this kind of thing before... no fun.

I suspect it's caused by heat or pressure on the Newton. We saw this on a
few units that were new in shrinkwrap, but left outside in desert heat.

You should only see the little splotch on the edges of the screen (most
likely the bottom) when the backlight is on. A temp fix is to turn off
the backlight, but that's no fun!

-Oz

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!