Re: NTLK More PC Card woes

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 03:00:03 EST

On 2/4/2000 11:19 AM, Santiago Vaquera [mailto:svaquera@mac.com] wrote:

>Hello again,
>
>Thanks for the responses to my previous email (I think I'm cursed). I
>guess I
>wasn't clear enough on my setup: two desktop macs (G3 and Performa 6360)
>networked via an Asante FriendlyNet Dual Speed Ethernet Hub. I also have a
>Powerbook G3 that plugs right into this network when I'm at home.

AHA! Which model PowerBook G3? The newer ones have 10/100-Base-T, but
my G3/250 PB (Wallstreet) has only 10-Base-T. So does the Newton
(10-Base-T). It's possible that your hub or your G3 or both are trying
to use/autosensing 100-Base-T or something.

Suggestion; turn on your Newton and plug it in to the hub FIRST. Then
your Mac.

There is also software from Apple to either turn off autosensing or force
it to 10-B-T.

http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11488

Your hub might also have some way to control this stuff.

>I then installed the pc ethernet card (3c589c) into the laptop. Same thing,
>the laptop immediately recognized the card and it appeared on my desktop as a
>"3c589" card. I was not able to test it on my network though, the led on the
>the hub did not come on indicating that the card was working. I thought it
>might be an issue of drivers so I checked to see if I could locate some mac
>drivers for this card. No luck.

The light on the card may not come on until you set the Mac to DO
something with the card, such as use it for TCP/IP or AppleTalk. I know
it doesn't come on on my Newton until I start a TCP/IP or AppleTalk
connection.

Not too many companies are going to bother with Mac drivers for PCMCIA
Ethernet cards these days, since Apple laptop Macs have had built-in
Ethernet for a number o' years, I think....desktops too. I'd maybe
expect some for 100-base-t cards or higher speed, but not 10-base-T.

>I'm guessing that because the led did not come on, that the card itself does
>not work.

Not a good guess.

>So then I take out the card and reinsert it, then I get the old dialog back,
>"there is a problem with this card...."
>So I try again, and I get the same message.
>I try to check my email, and of course it doesn't work.

Sounds like a problem/incompatibility or a fried card.

>Chris put forward the suggestion that maybe the PCMCIA slots are fried on my
>Newt. And I'm beginning to think that's true. What are my recourses? Other
>than not being able to network, the Newt works great and I'm happily taking
>notes during presentations and I've even taught one of my courses by
>reading my
>discussion notes from the screen. Is it an easy fix? Who could look into
>it?

Hard to say; it's not certain. You could try sending it in to Apple, but
there's no guarantee they'd find anything to fix. It could be the card.
 Could be the Newton. If they aren't officially supported cards, there's
no good way to know except perhaps if others here use the SAME cards just
fine on their machines. That'd be a good indication that it was the
Newton's slots.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = Newton Community FAQ: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com