Re: NTLK Newton Inc For Sale

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 02:59:21 EST

On 2/4/2000 11:09 AM, Christopher Myers [mailto:camyers@rocketmail.com]
wrote:

>I just wanted to ask the list a question and see what you think.
>
>Last year around this time Steve Jobs mentioned that he would be interested
>in selling Newton Inc to the right bidder.
>
>How much do you think it is worth? How much would you pay?
>
>I think he would sell it for 50 mil.
>

>Chris Myers

Actually, it was more like two years ago.

And there's nothing to buy, anyway. Most of the developers have left
Apple or are in other areas.

Don't waste any more your time speculating about this. There were some
offers, but none were accepted. I think some were that large or larger.
Heck, for $50 mill, if you've got it, you could probably create your own
clone of the NewtonOS that would run existing software, and license the
Paragraph engine to drive the handwriting (the same engine as the cursive
engine on all Newtons). There are already several projects to clone the
Newton (see www.gnuton.com, for example). Fund THEM instead!

  -Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = Newton Community FAQ: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com