NTLK More PC Card woes

From: Santiago Vaquera (svaquera@mac.com)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 12:19:40 EST

Hello again,

Thanks for the responses to my previous email (I think I'm cursed). I guess I
wasn't clear enough on my setup: two desktop macs (G3 and Performa 6360)
networked via an Asante FriendlyNet Dual Speed Ethernet Hub. I also have a
Powerbook G3 that plugs right into this network when I'm at home.
In regards to testing the PC Cards in a laptop, I did just that. The modem
worked fine, the PowerBook immediately recognized the card and in less than a
minute I was dialing onto the net. The card worked great, if a bit slow, given
that the PowerBook has an internal 56k modem and the pc modem card is only
28.8.
I then installed the pc ethernet card (3c589c) into the laptop. Same thing,
the laptop immediately recognized the card and it appeared on my desktop as a
"3c589" card. I was not able to test it on my network though, the led on the
the hub did not come on indicating that the card was working. I thought it
might be an issue of drivers so I checked to see if I could locate some mac
drivers for this card. No luck.
I'm guessing that because the led did not come on, that the card itself does
not work.

Here's a weird thing. After testing the modem card in my laptop, I took the
card and inserted it into the Newt. Instead of the message ("There is problem
with this card. (This memory card could not be formatted. (This memory
card is write protected.))"), I got the dialog box stating that a
communications card had been inserted. Yippee! I promptly logged on and
downloaded mail to the Newt, very content that the card was working. How? I
don't know, it's magic I guess.
So then I take out the card and reinsert it, then I get the old dialog back,
"there is a problem with this card...."
So I try again, and I get the same message.
I try to check my email, and of course it doesn't work.

Chris put forward the suggestion that maybe the PCMCIA slots are fried on my
Newt. And I'm beginning to think that's true. What are my recourses? Other
than not being able to network, the Newt works great and I'm happily taking
notes during presentations and I've even taught one of my courses by reading my
discussion notes from the screen. Is it an easy fix? Who could look into it?
So many questions.

Thanks,

Santiago

about us at some time. Find out why at: