Re: [NTLK] Pen computing is dead... long live the iNewt

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Sun Aug 16 2009 - 12:06:46 EDT

I didn't want to burst Ron's bubble, but no, Ron, there is no magic transcription software like SpinVox claims (I sent you a separate Email on that). Which is why I would never use SpinVox. But what can be taken away is Ron's now unwavering belief in Speech-to-Text recognition, and how that form of input is groundbreaking.

But there is some pretty amazing Speech-to-Text recognition coming from MacSpeech Dictate. You can use that to dictate whatever you want to your computer. I use a wireless headset which makes it even more liberating.

MacSpeech Dictate get their speech recognition algorithm from Dragon Naturally Speaking. They use their latest version 10, which has been lauded by many. Since DNS made a beta for the Newton years ago, I wonder if now someone like MacSpeech Dictate can be convinced to create Speech-to-Text recognition for the iPhone.

Ryan