Re: [NTLK] Newton 2?

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu Nov 29 2007 - 03:10:15 EST

On 11/28/07, Miro <miroc@comcast.net> wrote:
> > a sub-par internet tablet (compare to Nokia 810 for instance)

> Maybe it is sub-par in each of those categories, but does
> it all in one extra cool, sweet, unrivaled, and functional package.

Actually, I disagree with the one contention quoted above. I do not
think the Nokia is a _better_ internet tablet. Every time I'm tempted
to get one, I read all that people have to say, and I ask myself why
people put up with them? (and I'm typically reading the "fans'"
reviews and perspectives). The Nokia tablet is not a good web
experience--not good enough to tempt me, at least, but the Safari in
the iPhone is a completely different beast--yes, they both have
limitations, but I believe that the way the iPhone handles the small
screen is about as good as we will get for now, and it will only
improve.

But some people do not want to be convinced...

Not, mind you, that I ever see myself buying an iPhone or iPod Touch.
I don't need nor want the music player capabilities, which is the
major point of the iPod's appeal. I have specific needs that I doubt
the iPod series will ever fulfill. That doesn't stop me from
appreciating something well-done... which is why I like the eeePC.
It's a better internet tablet than the 810, and cheaper.

Personally, I would not be surprised to see Apple release a larger
tablet device with hwr, or a built-in keyboard, more the size of the
eeePC, but I _don't_ expect it to be priced anywhere near the price of
the eeePC. It will be expensive enough to make people think if they
want that or a Mac Book, and have to decide. That's my personal
thinking--should they release one... Newtons undercut their
Powerbooks. I know. I didn't buy a Powerbook because I had a Newton.
;-) They won't repeat that mistake.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland