Re: [NTLK] RES: Goodbye

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu Nov 29 2007 - 03:17:10 EST

On 11/29/07, Laurent Daudelin <laurent.daudelin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I don't all the technical details but if the card can be
> brought physically in the computer, theoretically, it should be
> possible to write a driver to recognize the data. I'm a programmer
> but I've never done low level programming like this, so I'm not sure
> about the work involved but, like I said, theoretically, it should be
> possible. I would think that with the work Paul Guyot has done for
> his ATA driver, he would know a bit about the format of the card once
> it's been formatted by the Newton.

I have an app on my Palm that will mount the Palm like a card reader,
allowing me access to the SD card from my desktop.

Now, since the Newton data is all in soups, and the soup concept was
such that any app could read it, why is it not possible to create a
simple-to-use app that allows the "mounting" of the Newton, and
reading of the soup information contained therein? This should work
for things like names, dates, etc. and even, theoretically, for
PocketMoney data, and there has been software for this, RCU springs to
mind... but nothing has been done for modern operating systems.

But if only we could access the binary data in Newtonworks. That is
what is so frustrating. To have a beautiful spreadsheet (in my case,
something that converted the mixed-up-mess that is purchasing fuel in
my American car, that measures in miles, while filling it with litres
of gasoline) and not be able to get it out of the Newton just
frustrates to no end!

BTW, is it possible to email such things? Maybe I need to reinstall my
mail and internet stuff.... Oh, I've got an older Airport base coming
soon. I wonder.....

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland