[NTLK] Greetings from a R. V. Winkle and a Request for Assistance (connection-related)

From: Steven Paiano <spaiano_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Nov 05 2007 - 23:01:34 EST

Dear Fellow Newtonians,
Greetings!

 Wow, I feel like I'm bellying up to the Bar at the End of the Newton Universe.

Having just turtled my head up from my self-imposed Newton exile (beginning around 2001), I stood over the weekend, Heston-like, on a deserted beach overlooking a ragged jumble of dead links, the ruins of a once larger Newton community.

I've been using a Newton since the 130 came out, switched to a 2100 when I bought one the very last new Newtons, one out of 800 that were a production overrun from the last large commercial order and sold out of the Newton Store in Tokyo in 1998.

I've been pretty much off on my own, happily using my 2100 as a stand-alone device. It has my everything - my precious baby and in daily use.

It has been amusing to watch it go from the laughing stock of faddish Palm users late 90's and 2000-2001 for its size to garnering ohhs and ahhs today - often, for its size ;).

I had to do a brain/motherboard transplant into a new shell in 2003 and haven't backed it up since then (!).

Recently, the on/off switch stopped working, I managed to get it working, and it now leads a forlorn existence on a respirator/AC adapter at home. I purchased a 2000 -> 2100 upgrade unit from eBay and it seems fine. I would like to back up my first love, do a soft brain transplant (my very own Duncan Idaho!) into the newer unit, then send the "older" unit off to be repaired.

I loaded NBU on a PC running XP - both units connect but then when I try to back-up, they both drop the connection in the same manner: after a couple of seconds of apparent proper function, an error message stating "your PC has dropped the connection" or if initiated from the PC side - "-1 error".

I tried all the different serial speeds, multiple reboots, all with the same results. I'm guessing its a speed issue - the modern PC is too fast and botching the connection. I'm not terribly technical, just a semi-clever user and completely at a loss as to how to rectify the issue.

Does anyone know how to slow the PC down?

I've striven mightily to dig up a copy of the NCU for 2x00 with no luck. Does anyone know where to obtain one?

I noticed mention of a utility that slows the PC down, yet couldn't find it - dead links.

Links are available for the NCU for Mac, and I have it on floppy - does anyone think it wiser to just get an old SE 30 cheap on eBay and back up to it?

Is the direct USB-to-Newton Dongle the Way to Go?

Sincerely,

Steven Paiano

267-939-4001

Albert <albalabs@yahoo.com> wrote: Does anybody know if this software will work with the