Re: [NTLK] Greetings from a R. V. Winkle and a Request for Assistance (connection-related)

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue Nov 06 2007 - 09:56:08 EST

I also had these problems on my XP box but I never had much luck with
Slowdown.exe. Instead I installed Microsoft's free virtual machine and then
installed Win98SE on the virtual machine. This works very well for me. Both
for back ups and development. UNNA has a copy of NCU for windows so you
should be ok there. The nice thing about using a PC/Mac to back up your
Newton is that it will also back up the data stored on cards.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
mhowe@gfn.org (Newton)
http://santa-duck.dyndns.org:8080/ (Newton server)
matthowe@comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/ (desktop)

Steven Paiano wrote:
<snip>
I loaded NBU on a PC running XP - both units connect but then when I try to
back-up, they both drop the connection in the same manner: after a couple of
seconds of apparent proper function, an error message stating "your PC has
dropped the connection" or if initiated from the PC side - "-1 error".

I tried all the different serial speeds, multiple reboots, all with the same
results. I'm guessing its a speed issue - the modern PC is too fast and
botching the connection. I'm not terribly technical, just a semi-clever user
and completely at a loss as to how to rectify the issue.

Does anyone know how to slow the PC down?
<snip>