Re: [NTLK] Trouble Moving .rtf to Newt

From: Tom Brand (T2) <thomasbrand_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 10:51:56 EDT

I understand what you are saying, but at the same time you are
preaching to a group that has formed around the aspect of using
"bizarre" technology to fill a personal need. A group whose continued
support for an outdated platform is only kept alive by the sharing of
ideas, failures, and successes made against standards previously
thought to be unsurpassable. If we as a group are determined to stick
to pre-denounced standards then we have dealt the sentence of death
against the Newton platform we have so long fought to support,
improve, and expand. Without our ability to look past the standards
set before us capabilities such as Wireless and Bluetooth
connectivity not to mention interoperability with today's software
platforms would have never been realized, and we would still be
utilizing the same Newton platform Apple abandoned and attempted to
set in stone ten years ago. It is true that pioneering new ideas, or
pushing the limits of old ones is dangerous, and may not reveal the
results expected. You are right that users should not complain or
make fuss when confronted with obstacles long thought to be
unbreakable. But by telling users to stick to known standards it is
you who is pronouncing that death sentence against the Newton. And in
the name of this community I kindly ask that you ignore the posts you
fail to agree with, and allow others to share in the discoveries that
they are making while stretching the known limits of the Newton
platform. After all it is because of those shared discoveries that we
as a group find community, and advance the platform we love.

Tom Brand (T2)
mynewtonblog.net