[NTLK] eMate batteries deplete very quickly

From: Mr Jonathan Dueck <jonathandueck_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Jul 21 2006 - 18:24:23 EDT

Hi, folks

A question for the gurus out there: my beloved eMate
used to have fabulous battery life, with a re-made
battery pack made according to Frank Gruendel's site,
using 1850ma batteries. Maybe 18+ hours, even with the
backlight on, between recharges.

Recently, though, I've found that the batteries
discharge quickly, sometimes in 3 hours between quick
charges that seem to be "full" (green light is on). I
swapped my remade battery pack out and put in the
original pack, plugged the eMate in overnight, and
found that I got 15+ hours of battery life. But the
next recharge, I got less battery life.

And it seems to be dwindling to maybe 5-6 hours of
time at this point.

If I unplug (from the Newt) and re-plug (to the Newt)
the charger while it's charging, I find the light
often turns orange and the battery charges a bit more,
this can be repeated, several times, extending the
battery life once I unplug it.

This is all well and good, but I'd rather not have to
unplug and replug my Newton to get rid of what I'm
sure isn't, but what seems a bit like, the "memory"
effect that NiCads used to have.

Any ideas? Is my charger going bad? Something in the
Newton? A trick I can do?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Jonathan Dueck