Re: [NTLK] Christmas Eve, Apple Store - Employees Still Using Newts!

From: John Stairs (stairsj_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Dec 27 2005 - 19:07:50 PST

On Dec 27, 2005, at 1:10 PM, Marcus Hammerschmitt wrote:

> Now here's a story you might find amusing. Recently ambled into an
> Apple store here in my hometown (Tuebingen/Germany) to check on
> my options for switching to an iMac G5. Turns out vintage '93 files
> which were created on a Windows machine might not be too hot
> with OS X. And I need to have those, of course. Just what I thought
> the truth would be to that switching in minutes blurb. Anyway. I
> ask the
> guy about Newtons, and he looks pretty clueless. When I describe
> the device, he goes like: "Oh yeah, but they were never compatible
> with anything." "Well, mine works brilliantly with XP to the very
> day."
> He shrugs. "Well, you know, XP ..." I smile. "There's loads of people
> who connect their Newtons to OS X machines as well. The vast majority
> of Newton users, in fact. As you would hope for with equipment from
> one and the same company." "Whatever", he mutters, "we don't care for
> that old junk anymore. That was years ago." For the sake of
> politeness I
> asked him about one of those impressive cinema displays he was using
> to work with (obviously more like web surfing it was). "Yeah,
> brilliant",
> he said, "but you wouldn't hope to use one of them with the standard
> configuration they sell the G5 Power Macs with. You'd need a much
> better graphics card to make sense with a display like that." And I
> left
> the store, shaking my head.

Marcus,

I think you ought to return to the store and find a "competent"
individual to help you make the switch from a windows box to OS X.
The guy you talked to must have been a real idiot. What type of
circa '93 files were you taking about? And unless you are talking
about the huge cinema display (which by the way requires 2 graphics
cards actually) then the display will work fine on even base model
G5s. Now, mind you, if you are buying the base model you probably are
going with the smaller cinema displays instead of the larger ones.

---
John Stairs
stairsj_at_mac.com
...nothing is more painful than regret...
...NO FEAR!