Re: [NTLK] Christmas Eve, Apple Store - Employees Still Using Newts!

From: Marcus Hammerschmitt (Marcus.Hammerschmitt_at_t-online.de)
Date: Tue Dec 27 2005 - 11:10:25 PST

At 01:32 27.12.2005, you wrote:
>Craig,
>
>I work at the Apple Store in the Westchester Mall, White Plains, NY,
>and I use my MP2000 at work every day!

Now here's a story you might find amusing. Recently ambled into an
Apple store here in my hometown (Tuebingen/Germany) to check on
my options for switching to an iMac G5. Turns out vintage '93 files
which were created on a Windows machine might not be too hot
with OS X. And I need to have those, of course. Just what I thought
the truth would be to that switching in minutes blurb. Anyway. I ask the
guy about Newtons, and he looks pretty clueless. When I describe
the device, he goes like: "Oh yeah, but they were never compatible
with anything." "Well, mine works brilliantly with XP to the very day."
He shrugs. "Well, you know, XP ..." I smile. "There's loads of people
who connect their Newtons to OS X machines as well. The vast majority
of Newton users, in fact. As you would hope for with equipment from
one and the same company." "Whatever", he mutters, "we don't care for
that old junk anymore. That was years ago." For the sake of politeness I
asked him about one of those impressive cinema displays he was using
to work with (obviously more like web surfing it was). "Yeah, brilliant",
he said, "but you wouldn't hope to use one of them with the standard
configuration they sell the G5 Power Macs with. You'd need a much
better graphics card to make sense with a display like that." And I left
the store, shaking my head.

Best,

Marcus