Re: [NTLK] Newton GPS prob: "GPS: 0" -----

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Fri Apr 29 2005 - 08:00:21 PDT

Johannes Wolf wrote:
> the GPS receiver needs to talk NMEA (as you can see from the programs
> settings as well).
> The beauty of this data format is that it is plain text.
> So you should be able to use a monitor program on the Newt and see the NMEA
> sentences like:
> $PGALM .... (almanac information)
> $PGRMI .... (sensor initialisation information)
> and maybe others.

TeleType's monitor mode will work just fine, if you're seeing stuff like the
above in there at least you're talking to it.

FYI, you can't alter the TeleType serial settings, so if you want to use a PC
Card based GPS receiver with it, you need to hex-edit the package. Yes, I did
this.

But as Ron mentioned, if this is the first time powering up the receiver OR it
has been moved a long distance since it was last powered on, it will take a
while to adjust and start picking up sats. On my PCMCIA card this can be in
the order of 3-4 minutes. It also helps not to move the antenna at all (hard
for me because it's built into the card).