Re: [NTLK] Newton GPS prob: "GPS: 0" -----

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Fri Apr 29 2005 - 07:38:34 PDT

On Friday, April 29, 2005, at 01:24 AM, DJ Vollkasko wrote:

> "Waiting for GPS Data!" (i.e. it wants to talk to a receiver...),
> "GPS: n/a" (which means it doesn't get any data, because it can't see
> the receiver...), then after a moment
> "GPS: 0" with a black bar next to it (which means it *does* talk to the
> receiver, but doesn't get any positional data it can use... even though
> the receiver's status LED is blinking!)

You know, DJ, this is going to sound like a silly question: Are you
inside or outside the house? This was the first (mis-) experience I had
too. GPS signals are weak to begin with and the receivers are
sensitive, but inside the house...0 satelites.

And actually, what (and how) you mention the GPS map's reaction to the
GPS data sounds like it's communicating...otherwise you would get
"Waiting for GPS Data!" constantly. The fact that it changes to "GPS:
n/a" and "GPS: 0" means you are talking, as opposed to "Waiting for GPS
Data!"...this is a good thing.

Go outside...give the unit a good 2 - 5 minutes in a clear and open
area or take it for a car ride with the antenna magnetically mounted to
the outside of the car (for the best and quickest signal strength).
First acquisition (cold start) can take a few minutes to settle in and
actually start giving good data.

Ron

--
     ____                                    RAParker @