[NTLK] Cosmetic Mods for Newtons

From: Becky K (kohali_at_nefermoon.com)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 12:26:27 PDT

Hi folks!

Well, I haven't had any progress with the hinge fix on my new eMate. Someone had
apparently already stripped the top-right screw holding the display in place, so
I'm stuck with a display that won't come out. I added grease to the hinges and
sealed it back up while I search for a solution to the screw trouble that will
risk the least amount of damage to the display.

In the meantime, I'm planning a cosmetic modification for the time when I can
open it all the way up.

What I'm hoping to do is mount some plastic gears on the inside of the display
casing so that, when the light hits the eMate just right, it will appear to be
at least partially gear-powered. If the gears won't fit, I may just paint the
inside of the casing so it would appear as if there were gears inside.

I know folks have made plenty of mods to their Newtowns in regards to increasing
productivity, but I'm wondering what folks have done to cosmetically alter their
trusty little companions. I know folks with desktops have done a wide array of
creative mods. But as far as Newtons go, a search has only found me an LED
beneath the display of an eMate and a new case for one of the other PDAs.

What else have folks done? I'd love to see photos!

Becky K.