Re: [NTLK] Cosmetic Mods for Newtons

From: Becky K (kohali_at_nefermoon.com)
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 07:02:16 PDT

Thanks for your suggestions, folks!

I ended up masking off the display and removing the screw head. I'm going to
leave the shaft of the screw in place, as the shaft only serves to anchor that
corner while the other screws keep it in place. I'd hate to make a bigger mess
of it by wrestling to get that out.

Now I've got the hinges repaired, and I'll go pick up washers tonight, as none
of my stock fit. I'll also try finding replacements for the couple other screws
that seemed like they'd take the next opportunity to strip on me. :P (Woody,
thanks for your offer for replacements, I'll definitely email you if I can't
find them on my own.)

As far as my mod goes, at least for now, I'm going to paint the casing interior
rather than installing actual gears. I'll mix it up with some other patterns
and show it off when I'm done.

If I'm not happy with the results, I'll go back later with the actual gears and
see about making them rotate somehow - I'd rather not pull power off the
battery, so I'll most likely include a crank instead if I get to it.

I may also find that there isn't enough light getting behind the display casing,
so additional interior lighting may be in this eMate's future. Perhaps a strip
of LEDs to the right and left side behind the display.

I need the eMate in good running condition for the first weekend in May, so I
don't want to do anything too risky to the casing at the moment.

So not many folks otherwise modify their Newtons? Is it the size that presents
the challenge?

Becky K.