Re: [NTLK] More dumb mac/newt questions: packtype, dock, and newtonbooks

From: David Neale (david.neale_at_pandora.be)
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 03:57:52 PDT

Hello Ronda,

I've been using Macs for 15 years and been in computing for 35 years.
Believe me, there are no dumb questions in computing or anything else.
If you don't know something, many people will be in the same situation,
so ask away for the sake of those who don't dare.

The problem with the system becoming unusable after installing NCU is
one I have experienced when trying the installation in Classic under
Jaguar (MacOS X 10.2.8). (Never had such an occurrence before on a
Mac.) Had to reinstall the system (taking the opportunity to upgrade to
Panther) and now NCU works.

As for importing a large text, such as your "Don Quijote," I have also
experienced similar difficulties to your own. The only solution has
been to dramatically increase the preferred memory allocation -- it is
now standing at 25000, which allows me to import Burrows' "Wild Wales."
It might be that this increase will also solve difficulties I have had
in placing graphics in books; previously placing a graphic would cause
Newton Press to simply close -- no error, no warning, simply close.

(To increase the preferred memory allocation, highlight the application
icon, select the Get Info message item in the File menu and modify the
relevant field entry.)

At least you have been able to get an ethernet connection between your
Newton and Mac, something that remains impossible for myself (as does a
wireless connection). Perhaps this is because my iBook runs under
Panther -- all descriptions for such links seem to stop at Jaguar!

David