Re: [NTLK] Good/Bad guys, PCs and Macs, Newtons and iPAQs

From: Michael Cox (mcox_at_cdinc.net)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 16:57:06 PST

On Thursday 05 February 2004 07:13 pm, Chris Ruprecht wrote:

> I have had a look at Linux on the iPAQ. Linux hasn't made it to the
> desktop yet

Nonsense. My 12-year-old daughter has been running Mandrake for the last two
or three years. Entire countries are switching to Linux and OpenOffice.
Perhaps your iPaq has a problem with Linux, but that's hardly indicitive of
the rest of the world's experience.
Your contentions as far as the desktop are at least four years out of date.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/10/20/1066502108080.html?from=storyrhs

> - the Linux community is still trying to convince people to
> use OpenOffice/KOffice and so on instead of M$ office. That's just not
> going to happen.

Again, nonsense. You should get out more.
http://news.com.com/2100-1016-1010740.html

> I believe that Linux will give M$ a good run for their
> money in the server market with player like IBM and Novell

Gee, you think? How profound, considering that Apache is and has been the
predominant web server since February of 1996, with currently over 65% of the
market. Microsoft is a distant second at 21%, and LOSING share.
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/02/01/february_2004_web_server_survey.html

> Novell (who's that?)

You might remember them...they reigned supreme in networking before MS
convinced all the PHB's to go to IIS (over the protests of their CIO's).

> backing it,

Linux was a force to be reckoned with long before IBM and Novell threw their
hats into the ring. They've already surpassed Apple's marketshare.

> but M$ has won the battle of the Desktop.
> Linux on a
> handheld is just impossible.

Riiight. Seriously, you should get out WAY more. Linux is the dominant OS on
cellphones, it is the embedded OS of choice, and even runs wristwatches.
http://www.linuxdevices.com/files/misc/ibm-watchpad.jpg
http://www.research.ibm.com/WearableComputing/factsheet.html

You might be interested to know that the Mars Rovers run Java on...yep, Linux.
As did the ill-fated Beagle II. And the Rover remote you can play with:
http://mars.telascience.org/

Linux, as it turns out, is one of the most scalable operating systems ever
created.

> HWR is non existent,

It'll come. Patience, Grasshopper.
http://hwr.nici.kun.nl/pen-computing/pen-mobile-linux.html
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2001/05/18/agenda_pda.html?page=2

> apps are equally non
> existent, development is extremely cumbersome and nobody seems to be
> really interested.

Say WHAT? Easily, the vast majority of Real Applications, the ones that do
the real work, the ones behind the ecommerce sites, the ones at NASA, the
ones at Boeing, the ones being used to create cutting-edge animations like
ICE AGE and CARS, the ones running on supercomputers (clustered or not), the
ones you don't see on Wal-Mart's shelves, are UNIX applications, and
increasingly, LINUX-native apps. Mary the secretary, typing memos on MS
Word, really isn't a big player in the true scheme of Things Computing.

> Palm, some might say ... but I view the Palm Pilot as a glorified
> address book. I admit, I have not looked at the later versions of their
> OS, namely 4 and 5, but I have not heard anything exciting either, and
> Palm OS 5 has been out for a while now.
>
> If anybody can point me to other alternatives ... I'm all ears ... for
> now, I will be in the iPAQ camp, still reading NewtonTalk, still
> marveling over how far ahead the Newton _was_, still keeping my MP2100
> around, charged up, ready to go, should the iPAQ fail me.

Okay, the rest I agree with...though Sharp's SL series and Yopy look
promising...

The Future Is Open ;-)

mc
- --
"The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." -- A.E. Van Vogt, "The
Weapon Shops Of Isher", ASF December 1942

http://www.lp.org http://www.gunowners.org/
http://www.americanlibertyfoundation.org/
Linux user #199542

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html