Re: [NTLK] card eject

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 16:40:53 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Parker
To: Newtontalk <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
Date: Friday, February 06, 2004 4:48 PM
Subject: [NTLK] card eject

> 1) Start with a card in your 2x00. (This will probably work with other
>models, too.)
>
> 2) Open your extras drawer.
>
> 3) Navigate until you can see some icons present on the card.
>
> 4) Push the card eject button the first time, extending the eject
button.

>The card items disappear.
>
>I was really surprised and impressed when I saw that last night. I wasn't
>expecting the icons to disappear until I pressed the card eject button the
>second time.
>
>Press the card eject button the second time. The card ejects, and the eject
>button is reset.
>
>What Newton designers subtly included in the card eject sequence was a
>poweroff to the card when you release the first press of the card eject
>button, before the card is ejected, so there's no bounce or arcing (weak
>though it may be) between the contacts as the card is spearated from the
>Newt's connector pins.
>
>I'm wondering if this lends some credibility to the possibility of data
loss
>if the eject button isn't working and the card is removed by pulling on a
>piece of attached tape. The card would still be powered as the connector is
>separated from the pins.
>
>Then there's the question of why there's no damage to data on insertion of
the
>card. Maybe the power isn't applied to the card until after a short time
delay
>once the card is seated.
>
>Paul, do you have any insight on this?
>
>Doug Parker

Personally I like using SBM's Card Eject. This prepares the card for eject
"like pressing the button once" and I believe shuts down the power to the
card as well. This package is really a necessity when the button is broken
on your Newt. But it also avoids the "Grip of Death" where a package is
currently in use and your Newton says "(enter name of package here) is
currently being used, please reinsert the card or the card might be
damaged". You reinsert (or remount) the card and everything is fine till
you try to eject again and you get the same message. So without this
package you can't remove the card safely. There are not many packages that
cause this problem, but there are a few.

Card Eject is small, free, on UNNA, and works on any Newt with 2.x OS (I
have not tried it on anything earlier). Just make sure you install it on
the internal!

-Dan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html