Re: [NTLK] D-Link DWL-650 doesn't work

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 14:37:40 EDT

On 01/10/02 13:36, "David C. Myers" <myers_at_aedifice.net> wrote:

> Following up my own message...
>
> I serendipitously found a coworker with a genuine Lucent WaveLAN card. I
> tried this in my Newton, using our office's 802.11b access point. And you
> know what? It didn't work either.
>
> Both cards are known good. My DWL-650 does work fine at home in ad-hoc
> mode.
>
> Judging from this newsgroup, I assume some people have gotten these cards
> to work. What did you do?
>
> The symptom I get (again, going against an access point in infrastructure
> mode) is that the "loading drivers" slip appears, gets about 2/3 of the
> way through, and just freezes, until it times out. The card never shows a
> steady link, even though I'm ten feet from the base station with a clear
> line of sight.
>
> The SSID is correct. WEP is deactivated.
>
> Any ideas?

You're maybe missing a package, or you didn't install the whole Newton
Internet Enabler packages and the needed drivers all on the same store. You
may not have created a worksite specifically for using wireless. I read
somewhere, sorry can't remember, that the best place to put the wireless
settings was in a specially created worksite. You might want to give a try
to that if you haven't already done so. Check the packages needed so that
they all sit on the same store, or you'll end up with drivers being loaded
before the core and being not activated. That step is very important.

-Laurent.

farming n.: [Adelaide University, Australia] What the heads of a disk drive
are said to do when they plow little furrows in the magnetic media.
Associated with a crash. Typically used as follows: "Oh no, the machine has
just crashed; I hope the hard drive hasn't gone farming again." No longer
common; modern drives automatically park their heads in a safe zone on
power-down, so it takes a real mechanical problem to induce this.