[NTLK] Newton Fund Startup Steps

From: hal9000x (hal9000x_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Dec 01 2002 - 11:36:36 EST

It appears from reading the various replies that the general consensus
regarding the proposed Newton Fund seems to be a yes. It also seems
that Victor and Grant are those mentioned most often as the ones who
are the preferred individuals to administer the fund in general. I
wondered if these gentlemen might give any consideration to the 'call
of the people' in this regard. If so, and their answer is in the
affirmative, steps to proceed should be taken all be it slowly and with
due consideration and deliberation.

A few points:

Someone mentioned the idea of a 'board of directors' so to speak in the
administering of the fund. I think that this is a good idea with
perhaps a core group of the board made up of the most knowledgeable
listers vis a vis the Newton platform and then general users so as to
provide a balance. The board might serve for a year or two and then a
new board could be elected via the list members. The initial tech core
of the board would be appointed via self appointment as per the
initiation of the fund. I am referring to Victor, Grant, Woo & Rich or
whoever else would like to nominate themselves in the first instance.
This to get the fund up and running initially and the full board being
in place in the following six months via election. (suggestions in this
matter overall are appreciated)

Someone also mentioned the notion of 'who decides what is worthwhile'.
I believe that this is less of a problem than one might think. We
obviously have a large group of extremely intelligent and technically
competent people on the list who should have no trouble deciding what
constitutes something 'worthwhile' for the Newton. Again, I refer back
to the board which could decide these questions ad hoc by a simple up
or down vote. Proposals could be submitted the board for consideration
and the board could either act on them unilaterally or if large costs
are involved put it to a vote of the list.

Contributions to the list should be a fixed amount. I suggested $20 per
year. It could also be $15 or $10. It should not be an onerous amount
and no one should be allowed to contribute more. Individuals may make
in kind contributions of necessary and vital items such as web hosting
or other related items/services. However, every full member of the fund
must make the yearly contribution. This to avoid favoritism or undue
influence or the appearance thereof. Contributions should be
irrevocable. After all this is not a bank or mutual fund.

It may be well and good for those initial principals mentioned
previously to speak over the telephone via conference call so as to
better be able to formulate the initial steps necessary in a more
direct and immediate fashion. I am willing to bear these costs in this
regard. All that is required is the various telephone numbers and a
mutually agreeable time to set-up the conference call. I would also
suggest that the minutes of this call be transcribed and made available
to the list.

For your consideration.

WNK

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html