Re: [NTLK] (Lord of the Rings) in Newton Book format

From: brian.tiplady_at_astrazeneca.com
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 05:25:53 EST

On the first point, it's certainly true that the editions would have to be
the same.

On the second point I actually haven't a clue what you mean.

The point I was trying to make is that, as with Napster, there is a problem
with making copyrighted material available for unrestricted download (which
is likely to be held to be an invitation to copyright violation) even when
some of the use of the download facility may be perfectly legitimate

-- B

On Tue, 2001-11-06 at 00:51, brian.tiplady_at_astrazeneca.com wrote:
> Yes, but there are two actions. The first is downloading. If I download an
> ecopy of LOTR and I already own a paper copy of the book, there is no
> difference from taking my own book and scanning it into a computer file.

Not true. It's possible that the ecopy you download is a different
edition with different edits from the version you own on paper, or more
appendices, or the like.

If it's different by one character than the copy you'd have made
yourself, it's potentially a copyright violation.

> The second action, which is the one which is actually in question is
placing
> the file on a server for all and sundry to download. This is where Napster
> came to grief, because, taking all the circumstances into account, this
was
> held to be an invitation to copyright infringement.

And this is different than making NewtonBooks of LOTR on a server for
all and sundry to download.... how?

Note that I really really dislike copyright law as it stands, and think
that all of this is stupid, so I don't want to dispute the right and
wrong of all this. I'm just pointing out that under current rules, no,
you're wrong on both points.

--
R Pickett           The people that once bestowed commands, consulships,
Hayseed Networks    legions, and all else, now meddles no more and longs