Re: [NTLK] Dongle Port Broken

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 04:54:04 EST

> It is held in place by two
> plastic bumps that fit into holes, and solder. Nothing
> else. If the port has been damaged, the plastic bumps
> "round off" meaning that even if you can get the
> micro-soldering to work, there wouldn't be enough to
> hold the port in place for any type of prolonged use.
I found exactly this too.

> I just finally said forget about it and purchased the
> Dongle Killer. Now I don't have to worry about the
> port ever again!!
I could get a Newton back which NIC port wasn't working properly. Its serial
function worked as well as kbd and PrintPack but not AppleTalk. But with the
SER-001 I got AT back!

> All I got to do now is sell my old Dongle on ebay for $55! Any takers?
No, thanks, I got two spares too... :-))

> I suspect that if the Apple Image Writer II can print
QuickDraw?

> Anyway, I can't remember...but if it accepts that
> drawing language, Apple-draw, or
> draw-script...whatever, then it's most likely that the
> Newton can print to it!
I don't believe so because Apple dropped QuickDraw before the MP2000 came
out. I think what the Image Writer can do is similar what the Epson LX
driver does: Simply dump the pixels off the Newton screen onto the paper.
Damn, this mode has a special name too...

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing