NTLK Re: newtontalk V1 #107 - Ethernet cards for eMate

From: CM Stimpson (macheel@dialfree.net)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 18:03:16 CDT

on 9/1/00 1:34 PM, Walter J. Ferstl at walter.j.ferstl@netway.at wrote:

>> Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 23:35:42 -0400
>> From: Ivan Shaw <ishaw@eudoramail.com>
>> To: newtontalk@planetnewton.com
>> Subject: Re: NTLK 56k / Ethernet card for eMate?
>>
>> At 11:15 PM 8/31/00 +0000, SM Stimpson wrote:
>>> Anyone know of a cost-effective, 56k / Ethernet card solution for the Newton
>>> that WORKS WELL? (Specifically the eMate?)
>>
>>> If not, then 1) In your opinion, what's the best 10 and/or 100 Base-T
>>> Ethernet card for the eMate / Newton?
>>
>> No Fast Ethernet support as far as I know, since many of those cards are
>> CardBus-based. As for efficiency and value, I'd have to pick 3Com's
>> 3CXE589ET, since it's the only one which doesn't use a dongle.
>>

> The Ambicom AMB 8010 PowerSaver EtherNet card (which is also being
> mentioned on Victor Rehorst's EtherNewt page) does have some very
> interesting specifications, such as very low power requirements (i.e., 195
> mW), a low price (about half of the 3com mentioned above by SM Stimpson)
> and, as it appears on the Ambicom web site, a smooth RJ45-only style cable
> (instead of the bulky combo dongle), see Ambicom's site
>
> http://www.ambicom.com/products/amb8010/amb8010.htm
>
> The driver for this card has been written by S. Bendinger from Germany:
>
> http://www.acid-design.com/newton/
>
> who tells you more about the advantages and technical details of this card
> on the web page (in English).
>
> I fully agree with SM that 3com cards are generally top quality cards, but
> at a price.
>
> The D-Link 660 has an interesting price (even cheaper than the Ambicom, but
> with one of these bulky BNC-and-RJ45-media adapters aka "dongles").
>
> Both cards (D-Link and 3com) work fine with the appropriate drivers.
>
> Although I have the D-Link card, I am seriously considering the Ambicom.
> Hmmmm... There should always be some room for improvement...
>
>> Check Victor Rehorst's EtherNewt page
>> <http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet> for the cards which do have support.
>>
> Let's say "Thank you" to Victor here for his good and helpful work.
>
> Best Newton greetings to all,
>
> Walter.

Just to set the record straight...

I posted the original QUESTION: (Anyone know of a cost-effective,
56k/Ethernet card solution....)

Ivan posted the 3Com answer in reply to my question.

And it's "CM", not "SM". I think for some oddball reason, the "C"
accidentally got converted to an "S" when Ivan replied to my post.

CM

--
The box said "Windows 95 or better" so I bought a Macintosh.