NTLK Re: newtontalk V1 #107 - Ethernet cards for eMate

From: Walter J. Ferstl (walter.j.ferstl@netway.at)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 08:34:03 CDT

>Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 23:35:42 -0400
>From: Ivan Shaw <ishaw@eudoramail.com>
>To: newtontalk@planetnewton.com
>Subject: Re: NTLK 56k / Ethernet card for eMate?
>
>At 11:15 PM 8/31/00 +0000, SM Stimpson wrote:
>>Anyone know of a cost-effective, 56k / Ethernet card solution for the Newton
>>that WORKS WELL? (Specifically the eMate?)
>
>>If not, then 1) In your opinion, what's the best 10 and/or 100 Base-T
>>Ethernet card for the eMate / Newton?
>
>No Fast Ethernet support as far as I know, since many of those cards are
>CardBus-based. As for efficiency and value, I'd have to pick 3Com's
>3CXE589ET, since it's the only one which doesn't use a dongle.

The Ambicom AMB 8010 PowerSaver EtherNet card (which is also being
mentioned on Victor Rehorst's EtherNewt page) does have some very
interesting specifications, such as very low power requirements (i.e., 195
mW), a low price (about half of the 3com mentioned above by SM Stimpson)
and, as it appears on the Ambicom web site, a smooth RJ45-only style cable
(instead of the bulky combo dongle), see Ambicom's site

        http://www.ambicom.com/products/amb8010/amb8010.htm

The driver for this card has been written by S. Bendinger from Germany:

        http://www.acid-design.com/newton/

who tells you more about the advantages and technical details of this card
on the web page (in English).

I fully agree with SM that 3com cards are generally top quality cards, but
at a price.

The D-Link 660 has an interesting price (even cheaper than the Ambicom, but
with one of these bulky BNC-and-RJ45-media adapters aka "dongles").

Both cards (D-Link and 3com) work fine with the appropriate drivers.

Although I have the D-Link card, I am seriously considering the Ambicom.
Hmmmm... There should always be some room for improvement...

>Check Victor Rehorst's EtherNewt page
><http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet> for the cards which do have support.

Let's say "Thank you" to Victor here for his good and helpful work.

Best Newton greetings to all,

Walter.