Re: NTLK abcnews.com article

From: James L. Johnson Jr. (jimjohnson@mac.com)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 07:19:44 EDT

I feel compelled to defend my brethren...

Please keep in mind what a broad audience ABC caters to; most viewers
think computer = Microsoft, let alone Newton = Palm. To write too
detailed an account would not really serve the general interest of their viewers.

Computer users, PDA users and Newton users are three progressively
narrower audiences, each with their own interests. Comparatively small
forums like Newtontalk best serve their interests. The internet makes it
possible to focus on such groups, called 'narrowcasting' as opposed to 'broadcasting'.

ABC and their ilk will never do a technically perfect job of covering
such issues, because of these constraints. I believe it was Murrow who
said that TV works best in either 30 seconds, or 8 hours.

The ABCnews.com article was the 30 second version. Newtontalk is more
like an 8 hour version. Each is appropriate for its intended audience.

That is not to excuse factual errors, but 30 seconds doesn't leave much
room for explanation, and the 'news' of the day is the new product. The
Newton is only mentioned as a reference, and its big splash in history
is the initially poor handwriting recongnition. That's what most viewers
*may* remember.

That said, you're right Kenneth. They're wrong. But there's a reason
why, I think...

Cheers,

Jim Johnson
(B.J. '85, University of Missouri School of Journalism, emphasis in Photojournalism)