Re: NTLK NUSheild alternatives??

From: markr13 (markr13@voicenet.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 19:32:17 EDT

>Stainless Steel Rat wrote:
>>
>> * "Drew Loker" <lokerd@hotmail.com> on Mon, 17 Apr 2000
>> | Well, I jsut got my first NUSheild installed and I have to say I am not
>> | impressed (sorry NUSheild). Maybe it is something that will grow on me,
but
>> | these are the problems I am having:
>>
>> | 1. Text recognition is noticeably off...too much to live with
>>
>> WriteRights have better "contact" with the display panel than Barriers
>> (what NuShields were originally called), so this is less of a problem, or
>> not one at all.
>>
>> | 2. Reduced contrast...requiring back light more often
>> | 3. Reduced angle of view tolerance
>> | 4. Dimmed backlight operation
>>
>> These will be an issue no matter what kind of protective film you install,
>> though I have never needed to resort to the backlight due to low contrast.
>>
>> | 5. Not in a fixed position (like it needs to be .5mm wider) as it does not
>> | quite fit under both the left and right side (the straight sides that
>> | is...top and bottom of newton).
>>
>> AFAIK, they should fit snugly. If they do not, you should probably contact
>> the vendor.
>>
>> | 6. Difficult to keep lint out during install, and during operation. In
just
>> | a short while, I have had lint creep in?!?!
>>
>> This is probably the most significant reason I dislike Barriers.
>> WriteRights are immune to this problem.

I guess I should chime in here since I'm NuShield's father. To answer
your questions:

1. If you are experiencing HWR problems its probably an installation
issue. The NuShield should lay flat on the screen. This will improve
with time as the trapped air slowly leaves the space between the screen
and the film. If after a few days you are still experiencing this, check
the corners of the film by removing it and see if they are bent. If so,
they are preventing the film from laying flat on the screen. Straighten
the corners and reinstall.

2-4. This is an issue with any screen protector. WriteRights and
NuShields both use a roughened surface to enhance writing feel and HWR.
NuShields surface is a very light layer and is what gives it its
durability (4X longer in my experience than WriteRights). The rough
layer will cause some diminished light transmittance from the screen.
Its a tradeoff, better durability and feel vs. clarity.

5. Again, this is an installation issue. When properly installed, it
will fit under all sides of the screen. There is a 1 mm insertion at the
top and bottom of the screen case, so its a bit touchy to get it just
right. See #1 above as this can be the cause of many installation ills.
 If we made them larger, that would make installation tricky, again, a
tradeoff.

6. This is again an installation issue. You apparently don't have the
NuShield under case properly. Once done, lint can't get in since the
case is effectively sealed. Please check #1 for this common problem.

We try to be very responsive to our customers and guarantee satisfaction.
 Please contact us at support@NuShield.net if you have problems of any
kind with our product. We strive to make our products the best they can
be.

The Folks at NuShield

NuShields, your best defense against screen scratches and abrasion.
Get them at: http://www.NuShield.net

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!