Re: NTLK how to remove mp2k system update?

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot@pnm-consulting.com)
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 07:53:59 EDT

Bill Moser at guillermo1967@hotmail.com wrote:

> I need to uninstall the 710031 system patch for the MP2k & go back to the
> version in ROM. I seem to remember that pulling the batteries out for 24
> hours should wipe it, but it didn't. Any suggestions?

Just a question: why do you want to go back to 717006?

Howard Moftich <howardm@lsil.com> wrote
>OK, I found that article.
>
>I'll semi-retract my statement. Given that the 2k doesn't have
>a Lithium battery, I do question if 17908 is applicable.

It is not. This TIL was written for MP1xx, as you remarked with the
Lithium Battery evocation.

Robert Benschop <robertbenschop@bigfoot.com> quoted me:
>Recent answer to the same question from Paul Guyot (and Paul Filmer, I think
>even the TIL is sometimes wrong)
>
>"There are three methods to revert to a previous system update:
>(a) use a special package that removes the current one, and install a new
>one.
>(b) install a system update with a lower code, and install over it the new
>one.
>(c) install a modified system update which installs whatever the code is."

That's the only way, believe me. Besides, you want to go back to
717006, which means no patch at all. Hence, the only solution is (a),
using Patch Remover.

Duh, I found another one:
open your newton, take a hammer, and crash the Intel Flash RAM under
the ROM card. (think about removing the ROM card, since, otherwise,
you won't break the Flash chips properly, or hit the card really hard)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> asked:
>* Robert Benschop <robertbenschop@bigfoot.com> on Fri, 14 Apr 2000
>| "There are three methods to revert to a previous system update:
>| (a) use a special package that removes the current one, and install a new
>| one.
>
>Does such a beast actually exist?

Yes, it does. It calls undocumented system functions. So does the
installers anyway.

>| (b) install a system update with a lower code, and install over it the new
>| one.
>
>Does this actually remove the update, freeing up the memory used by it, or
>does it apply a patch to a patch? That is, my MP2100 has 717260 in ROM.
>If I install the 170031 update on top of it, and then install the 717260
>update on top of that, are there two system updates on my MP2100 or none?

Nope, nope, nope. Let me start again.
The system update data (just the pages: 717260 & 710031: 6 (base ROM)
+ 1 (extension 1) = 7 pages, i.e. 6*4 + 8 (base table) + 1*4 + 4
(ext1 table) = 40 kb) is saved on the Internal Store. Max is 136 kb.
Updating means *replacing* everything as an update to the new update.
If you update with less pages, it will free up memory (very
probably). With more pages, it will use more memory.

>| (c) install a modified system update which installs whatever the code is."
>
>Maybe it is just me, but I am having trouble parsing this one.

Each patch has a code. Actually, there is a code for base ROM and one
for any extension patched. This code is saved somewhere (in the
SGlobalsThatLivesAcrossReboots I think). It has nothing to do with
710031.
The installation of a patch is four-stepped.
It is a package with auto-remove flag, hence it is destroyed after
having been installed. It contains several part
1/ There is a test to check that the MP is the right one.
2/ Each patch (i.e. one for Base ROM & one for Extension 1) is
checked to patch this current ROM, i.e. if it is not older (or equal)
than the current patch. This test is done by a NewtonScript function.
If it is alright, this function registers the patch by changing some
things in memory (still in SGlobalsThatLivesAcrossReboots) and
copying the patch somewhere in memory.
3/ If everything is ok, the installer itself is ran. It will get the
patch information from the global, merge that so it will be correctly
installed, does a last check and then run the function that says: a
new system is about to be installed, please press restart.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Paul

--
----
P&M Consulting Newton Program

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the Internet. Visit EVOTE.COM for all the latest news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!