NTLK Re: Pretec memory card problem

From: Clinton Slaughter (clintslaughter@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 07:16:23 EDT

I had a 12mb Pretec card that I used for about 8 months with my newton. One
day, I forget what I was doing, maybe installing a package or backing up my
MP2K, I got an error message and my system restarted. On restart it would
not recognize the card, and it said it needed to be formatted. I restarted
a few times but to no avail, so I eventually re-formatted the card. Then my
newt wouldn't even recognize the card and it was useless. I contacted
Pretec and talked to Rosa in customer service. I e-mailed her multiple
times and they couldn't find a record of my purchase even though I had
bought it on their on-line store, and of course, I couldn't find my invoice.
  I argued back and forth (nicely) for about a month and eventually we
settled that I would send the card in and they would check the card out. If
it was defective, they would replace the card for $35 and if not, I was SOL.
  I sent the card in and was given a referece number and a month later I got
an email asking me to send all of my information, including the invoice from
the purchase, reason for problem, etc. . . and my card! I called to say
"excuse me, but I sent you my card over a month ago, here's my referece
number, how can I pay you the $35 we agree upon so I can get another card?
It was as if I had never spoken to them, I was still speaking with this Rosa
character who in one e-mail said, "why don't you just buy another card?"
Because I already paid $150 for one that is defective! Anyway, what ensued
was another 2 week e-mail battle about whether or not I had actually
purchased the card from them because I had no invoice and they had no record
of my on-line purchase. Then, silence. The e-mail address for pretec
customer support no longer worked, I couldn't access the website and it
seems as if they packed up and skipped town. With my defective memory card.
  This was a few months ago, sorry for the long post, I had to vent.
The moral: Save your invoices and Pretec is bad.
Clint

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!