NTLK Re: Help: Pretec Card Problem

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond@netcom.com)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 03:46:24 EDT

At 12:19 AM -0400 4/8/00, NewtonTalk wrote:

>Now what to do, the card is not protected but the Newton insist it is. I =
>want to reformat the card, but how.

Dr. Tewfik,

I hope you have not encountered the same failure I did some time ago.

Apparently it is possible for a PC Card to become so badly corrupted
that it is effectively destroyed. The technical explanation eludes
me, but I have heard the phrase "tuples" in connection with this
irreversible corruption.

I have had two PC Cards become damaged in this way. One was an Alix
16MB Linear Flash card, and one was a Farallon Ethernet card. In both
cases, contact with the manufacturer's technical support led to the
conclusion that the card was damaged beyond repair and had to be
replaced.

I have learned subsequently that the Apple Newton manual specifically
warns against performing a reset of the Newton while any PC cards are
installed. Whether this applies to a software-initiated reset, a
hardware-initiated reset (i.e. push the button on the back), or both,
I don't know.

As a preventative measure, I now always make sure both card slots are
empty before performing either a software- or hardware-initiated
reset. Whether or not this is really true I don't know, but it seems
a reasonable precaution given my prior experience.

The previous poster's advice about resetting the Newton with the pen
held down 1/4 inch from the left side of the screen is a good tip.
Also the other poster's advise about opening the "Prefs" slip with
the card ejected, then inserting the card. Either one can help
isolate whether the problem is reparable.

Unfortunately, it seems that sometimes the Newton can destroy PC Cards.

-Jeremy

Jeremy Bond Shepherd | There's something about a martini
San Francisco, CA | 'ere the dining and dancing begin.
Internet: jbond@netcom.com | To tell you the truth.
Phone 415-929-0297 | It is not the vermouth.
                             | I think perhaps it's the gin. -Ogden Nash
PGP Public key can be found on most servers.

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!