RE: NTLK White Backlight Kit

From: Humphreys, David (david.humphreys@honeywell.com)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 08:29:06 EDT

Hi Robert,
I will try to answer your questions.

> I'm curious how the progress on the replacement backlight is
> coming along
Still in development but moving quite nicely.

> and I have a few questions as well.
> Will it be possible to have replacements for eMates as well
> (the screen is a
> bit bigger than a 2x00 so I'm curious if the 2x00 size would
> be a maximum)
> since the eMate is the Newton which is the easiest to open
> up, especially
> the cover where the screen/backlight resides.
The original idea was to have the backlights custom made. This will set the
size of course and it will only fit in the model it was designed
for.(MP2x00)
The light COULD be made in any size or shape but each model would require
its' own tooling.(EXPENSIVE)
I am currently examining the possibility of making the light from store
bought
materials. This will be a lot more labor intensive but would allow custom
shapes
and sizes. It would also require a good deal of skill and patience.

> Will the replacement have the same whining sound that the
> current one due to
> the high current produces ?
The whining sound is caused by the inverter transformer. The design uses the
inverter circuit
but in a different way. The whining is very much diminished or non-existent.

> You wrote at some point about the amount of hours that the
> replacement was
> supposed to be able to function which, if I remember right, was quite
> impressive, but will the replacement also slowly become less and less
> intense as the original does ?
No. The light output will remain constant. The quoted life ~60,000hrs is a
number that the manufacturer gives statistically. The real life is probably
a lot greater.

Regards,

David Humphreys
PCB Designer