Re: NTLK White Backlight Kit

From: Robert Benschop (robertbenschop@bigfoot.com)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 17:58:09 EDT

on 07-04-2000 2:29, Humphreys, David at david.humphreys@honeywell.com wrote:

> The original idea was to have the backlights custom made. This will set the
> size of course and it will only fit in the model it was designed
> for.(MP2x00)
> The light COULD be made in any size or shape but each model would require
> its' own tooling.(EXPENSIVE)

The cheaper the better of course, but if you can make a replacement for the
2x00 that makes sense commercially than I would say that it would make sense
for the eMate as well, quite a few around and contrary to the 2x00 series
still being sold new by Oz and myself so still adding to those number of
users out there.

> I am currently examining the possibility of making the light from store
> bought materials. This will be a lot more labor intensive but would allow
> custom shapes and sizes. It would also require a good deal of skill and
> patience.

Sounds good to me.

>> Will the replacement have the same whining sound that the
>> current one due to
>> the high current produces ?
> The whining sound is caused by the inverter transformer. The design uses the
> inverter circuit but in a different way. The whining is very much diminished
> or non-existent.

Very nice

> No. The light output will remain constant. The quoted life ~60,000hrs is a
> number that the manufacturer gives statistically. The real life is probably
> a lot greater.

Even nicer

on 07-04-2000 4:26, Marco Mailand at Marco.Mailand@psi.ch wrote:

> Bradley Smith wrote:
>> 60000 hours is amazing. That's like continuously on for 6 years!
> It's the lifetime of the white LED, is it? I did not listen to all
> comments about the backlight, but what about the current consumption.
> Now we have about 20mA which is quite a lot to drive some LED's. What
> are the plans for your kit? Do you have provision for pulsing the LED
> current?

David, I don't think that you answered these questions of Marco and I was
wondering if you would, since Marco is definitely technically more endowed
than I am he made me wonder about these questions.

Robert Benschop

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!