NTLK Re: D-Link Ethernet PC Card

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox@peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 10:57:28 EDT

* "Laurent Chardon" <Laurent@sytek.on.ca> on Thu, 06 Apr 2000
| a "media coupler", but we all know it's a dongle... :) The CT has BNC and
| RJ-45 connectors.

Ahh... CT is for Combo Twisted pair.

| I'm very surprised at your numbers. Are you sure that the card is actually
| receiving or transmitting while drawing only 110 uA? It seems very low to
| me.

Yep, my 110uA is correct, with a high spike of 130uA . That's the
difference between a high-end card and a low-end card.

| > One thing in favor of the 3Com card: you can get 6' dongles for it. These
| > have a Honda plug on one end and an RJ45 plug on the other, and

3Com part number is 3C-PC-TX-CBL

| Well, I see this as an inconvenience rather than being in favor of the card,

Well, you need a length of twisted pair anyway, and this plugs right into
the hub, which is very convenient. The standard 6" dongles still have
clunky jacks on them. It is not as bad with the 3Com dongles as the D-Link
dongles, but still....

| but the D-Link 660-CT also comes with a 6" dongle with BNC and RJ45 plugs.
| Who uses coaxial Ethernet nowadays anyway?

I know a few people who do. It's cheap, if not free.

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Warning: pregnant women, the elderly, and
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ children under 10 should avoid prolonged

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the Internet. Visit EVOTE.COM for all the latest news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!