Re: NTLK Heap vs. Storage

From: gopi@sloth.org
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 17:39:51 EDT

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Michael Strange wrote:
> That is a large increase, but it is still odd that the system would suddenly
> hog that much memory. IF 845 was enough prior to upgrade, it should still
> be enough.
>
> > Well, when it says System RAM: 3984K, that's heap. Except that the system
> uses
> > most of it.

When we are talking about heap here, we're talking about _newtonscript_
heap. Many other aspects of the system's operation involve the use of
RAM, including things like the communications tools (NIE, etc.) as well as
probably parts of the view system, and the rest of the OS. The
NewtonScript heap is a fixed size; the system is not actually "using" the
rest of the RAM, it is simply not putting it in the NewtonScript heap.
Most of it is still free and is available for other aspects of system
operation, including C++ code you write.

gopi.

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!