RE: NTLK NTLK: Pixsolution Upgrade....

From: Jon Shurtleff (jon.shurtleff@munich.netsurf.de)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 19:12:30 EST

Of these problems the only one that's an issue at all for me is the sound
issue. Actually I have Dashboard programmed to play Buffy the Vampire
Slayer screaming when I gesture 'S' for 'Speed'. That tells me whether it's
in fast mode or slow. But it does screw up music or voice playback. It's
easy to slow it down though if I want to use sound or to use the serial port
for transferring data, though I suppose this would be a big issue for people
that use the keyboard a lot. I should also note that I have to slow it down
to use my ethernet card, a Farallon. Don't know if this applies to other
ethernet cards. I don't have to slow it down to use my modem though, a
CruiseCard 33.6. As for the power use, it does use more power, but maybe
I'm doing something wrong though I don't know what it would be, but the way
I use my Newt, which is heavily, the batteries have never lasted very long.
So I have an adapter at home and one at work and I just plug it in when I'm
at one location or the other. The batteries last long enough either at high
speed or low to work this way so the increased power requirement just isn't
an issue. In an emergency I carry an extra set of AA's a battery holder in
the spine of my Calise case. I can get AA's just about anywhere. Problem
solved. The increased responsiveness of the machine is well worth it.

Jon.