Re: NTLK New Apple PDA?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 19:40:38 EST

Actually, running Mac X on a handheld would be a BAD
idea. What made the Newton (and now the Palm) such a
good platform for handheld computing as opposed to
some of the others (wince?) because the platform was
built from the ground up with handheld in mind. There
was never a need to port a desktop OS to a handheld
(you always loose something that people need) or to
bring a handheld OS to the desktop (way underpowered
to do anything constructive) I think that for a
handheld OS to work, you need to completly forget
everything you know about the desktop and work as if
the desktop doesn't exist. That's what makes the Newt
cool...
Now, OS X?!?are you kidding? you have three layers of
the OS to deal with! who needs that in a handheld? The
footprint alone would require the necessity of a hard
drive...and if you're going to be doing that, might
has well have a laptop!
My PDA would be instant on, instant info and keep
everything within reach that I could possibly need to
do whatever I want to do.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- RobertRuff@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/27/00 3:01:25 AM,
> newton@ecity.net writes:
>
> << I'd be happier to see MacOS X running on a new
> Apple handheld, perhaps
> the Palm emulator developers use running on it.
> Since the Palm is really
> similar to an original Mac Plus from 1986, I think
> they could do it.
>
> - Bill
> >>

> OK Bill,
> you wowed me
>
> Now That is Forward Thinking

=====
this is a temporary sig file until I can figure out a more clever one to use

http://im.yahoo.com

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!