Re: Re: NTLK New Apple PDA?

From: Gary Moody (gmoody@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 10:33:27 EST

Okay, guys, I understand your positions and I have no love for Jobs
either...admiration maybe. But think about this.

The inventors of the whole concept of a GUI was invented at the Xerox Palo
Alto Research Center (PARC), and Xerox actually made a machine based on
these concepts, a large mini/small mainframe known as the Xerox Star. Xerox
being the marketing collossus it is (it has been said that if Xerox bought
Kentucky Fried Chicken that they would market it as hot, dead chicken! :)
), the Star barely sold at all; it was a curiosity.

Jobs saw a demonstration of the Star and was convinced that this was the
wave of the future and set out to create it for the "everyman" on small
boxes.

After the fiasco of the Lisa and falling out of favor with the Apple board,
he ensconced himself and the Mac team in a metal building to complete the
Mac development. They would fly the Jolly Roger over the building during
the day (sound familiar?) and illegally raid the Lisa files at night. The
result was the Macintosh. Gates saw a major competitive edge with the GUI,
and started development of his own in reaction. The OS wars were born.

But the point of it is, if not for a chance demo combined with Jobs vision,
we'd probably still be using some form of command-line architecture on small
boxes, and the Newton with it's cool OS probably would never have existed at
all.

Just food for thought.

Regards,

Gary