Re: NTLK Microsoft Outlooks (was MessagePad 2100 + ext.)

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 02:21:56 EST

On 3/29/2000 12:31 AM, Christopher Browne [mailto:irie@attglobal.net]
wrote:

>There is justifiable confusion about Outlook on the Mac. Two Microsoft
>products use the same name.
>
>Outlook Express is a Mac POP mail application which now ships as the
>default mail application on all new Macs. This is not something with which
>we need to be able to synch.

Why not? They provide a Palm sync capability with Outlook Express (at
least with the version I just downloaded along with Internet Explorer
5.0).

Interesting that MICROSOFT is providing a Palm sync capability on the
mac...but not a Windows CE one, isn't it? MS is one screwed up company,
ain't it? The Mac division seems to have some grasp of reality, though!

>Outlook for Mac is the Mac version of the popular Windows group
>schedule/enterprise email client. Its predecessor was Schedule+ for Mac. I
>suspect that a number of Mac users in mixed PC/Mac environments (like me)
>use or would like to use this if a means of synching with the Newton were
>avaialble.

I've downloaded this from MS's web site, but can't get it work -- I think
it requires a Microsoft Exchange server, which I don't have. I use the
Windows version at work, but we don't have Exchange there either. Just
MS-Mail and POP/SMTP.

Anybody out there using the full Outlook/Mac without an MS server?

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!