Re: NTLK Sources and a bit about the GUI thread

From: Ben Doughney (ben_d@clear.net.nz)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 01:42:20 EST

>Also (this is my last point, you've made it this far, you might as well
>go on), RiscOS is one of 2 operating Systems in the World which is
>entirely based on ARM architecture (NewtonOS being the Other), and as a
>matter of Historical interest it's RiscOS, which brought Acorn to the
>point of building the first ARM chips and spinning off Arm Ltd - hence
>in a way RiscOS is the Parent of NewtonOS. If anyone would like to
>discuss this further please email me, or there is a messageboard on my
>Website, feel free to start a thread or 2 going on there and I'll answer
>it. On a final note, you may like to know the Psion are now releasing
>the Netbook (why should this interest you?) well the thing about the
>Netbook is that it's ARM powered and allows the OS to be softloaded from
>A flash ROM, hence I'm hoping that RiscOS will arrive on it, but
>NewtonOS could also be possible (I don't know how much of the Newton
>Hardware is custom stuff, but it might happen).

I used RISC OS a long time ago on a Acorn (can't remember the model, had
the disk drive & everything in with the keyboard). At the time I didn't
really know a whole lot about computers but I thought it was quite easy
to use.
     Anyway, I now have a virtual computer museum on the web, and want to
find out more about the RISC OS and the Acorn computers in general, so I
can add to my bare Acorn pages.
Can you tell me anything about the RISC OS (history etc.) that would be
suitable for my webpage?

Thanks

Ben Doughney

Director