RE: NTLK More Freeware Releases from Adam Tow incl. HYPERNEWT!

From: Bradley Smith (BradleyS@artisansw.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 11:00:44 EST

Hmmm, I have to disagree. Newtscape is great but it's way too slow to browse
the big net pages that are around. Here are some timings for my Newt with
Newtscape and my PC with IE5. Both times are with no previous cache and
represent the time taken to download and display the info newt site
(http://www.info-newt.com) which is not a very big site to be honest: you
look at it with your desktop browser and it seems very Newton friendly but
just check out these times!

Both machines were connected using the same ISP through an ethernet card to
make the test as fair as possible. I think you'll agree that this is the
fastest way to connect a newton to the 'net?

1. MP2100 & Newtscape (no cache, no graphics) : 1m 35 secs
2. PC & IE5 (no cache, no graphics) : 0m 8 secs
3. PC & opera 3.61 (no cache, no graphics) : 0m 5 secs

Now in my book that is just too slow. Most of the time was spent by
Newtscape formatting the page (at least that's what it looked like according
to the messages at the bottom of the screen). If we had something like
Avantgo now that would be cool! I guess Adam's stuff is trying to do the
same kind of thing?

BTW, at home I only have a 14,400 connection with my Newt so web browsing is
a non-starter.
Brad

> Newton
> owners really don't