NTLK

From: Greg Goodwin (Greg.Goodwin@fmlynet.org)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 09:41:08 EST

From: <gopi@sloth.org>
On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Gary Moody wrote:
interested in seeing what what was being done by others.
> we'd probably still be using some form of command-line architecture on small
> boxes, and the Newton with it's cool OS probably would never have existed at
> all.

That's an impressive statement. While I don't think thing would be as far
along as they are, many people before PARC had talked about the GUI and
done reasearch into the core concepts. THat wouldn't have gone away, and
woudl have been slowly moved forward.gopi.

@>-->----------------------

    Being an Atari user amoungst other than (who uses the Newton in the field),
I can say there were other possibilities, and without the MacOS or Windows,
there would have been other graphical interfaces besides command line.

Xerox - Well, needlesstosay, the great grand daddy of them all. Granted,
        wasn't going anywhere due to their own politics, but it sure did
        start something didn't it? :)

GEM - Wish I could enlighten more on this one. I'm wanting to say
        Digital Research on this one, but it doesn't quite sound right.
        They had their own graphical interface that Atari corp would
        employ for their new ST (Sixteen/Thirty-two bit) computers.
        GEM was a graphical interface much like a Macintosh and yet with
        the PC system of DOS that was licenced from IBM and renamed TOS.

Then there are others that have risen up...

Newton - Wonderful pen based, ram storage system.

Diamond OS- Early windows system for the Atari 400/800.. etc line
NEOS - Commodore64 window environment
BOSSXL/XE - Current Atari 400/800 window environment.

APPLE II/II GS - Had a window environment as well.

    So lots of other alternatives, and dispite what Microsoft and Apple would
have you believe, there are many other there who still use the computers they
have. They might be out in remote areas, but then again, how much of the world
is densely populated? :)

    Doctor Clu
    Atari/Newton/Macintosh user

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the