NTLK

From: Sunder (sunder@anon7b.sunder.net)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 15:42:37 EST

Bradley Smith wrote:

> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Outlook is a Wintel only
> > application.
>
> Well, the number of people who asked me to do a Mac version of
Notes2Notes
> would indicate otherwise but I don't know. Can anyone tell us a. is
Outlook
> available on a Mac, b. Is it like the Windows version and c. Do Mac
people
> actually use it?

Well shit, I use Netscape Communicator, and Staroffice not Outlook so I
wouldn't be one of the ones interested in such an app, but the ability to
synchronize a Newt to SOMETHING is useful. Perhaps if what you do has
import/export features to say, comma delimited format (or something like
it so as to also allow sounds and bitmaps to be sent) I'd buy it anyway
and use it to automate stuff...

IMHO, a scriptable program that would import/export all sorts of data
to/from the Newt would be great. If on Wintel or unix, a command line
would be the best for me, that way I could write a wrapper around it and
have it do my thing.

> > I think you just asked everybody on this list to NOT make a
> > bid or you Newt
> > ;-)
>
> Hmmmm, maybe but if I get no interest here then the rats on ebay get to
have
> a go :-)

IMHO, limiting yourself to an Outlook synch program is kind of bad.
There is a ton of other apps you could be writing that we'd be interested
in buying. You won't make a lot of money, but for sure, writing the code
would get you at least the same as what you'd get selling your Newt off.

Here's one idea that I would find useful:

Write an extensions manager kind of application that would when tapped
unfreeze a set of packages, and reboot the Newton. See: I don't always
use my Ethernet card with my Newt, sometimes when I do I have to by hand
unfreeze a bunch of things and reboot the Newt.

Say, have this happen automatically when I insert my ethernet card.

Something like that would be useful.

Sometimes, I might use an app that has lots of extensions that I keep
frozen, so it's a pain to unfreeze them. But when I quit the app, I'd
want all of them frozen, including the extensions for it.

I could also use a really good programmable remote control. I know
several such things exist, but they suck... I'd want a good one that I
could run on my 130 and have it be able to read in my remote control's
codes, and lay out buttons nicely.

I could also use a VNC or SSH client for the Newt, or even an X server.

I would also like to have a good Newton emulator. The first set to such
would be to get a full ROM dump to a file. Write an app that does that.
:)

Games would be good too. How about a billiards game that supports 9 ball?
That would be good.

Or an object compressor - sort of like Stacker. Sure it would slow things
down, but you could squeeze more space onto these very expensive linear
flash cards. Yes, I know you can compress packages, but how about data?
Would that be feasible?

Or how about a PGP and mailer program merged together for your Newt?

These are things I'd pay money for.

--
 + ^ +  Sunder              "Only someone completely distrustful of   /|\

****************************************** This NewtonTalk Message brought to you by:

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the Internet. Visit EVOTE.COM for all the latest news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!