Re(2): NTLK New Apple PDA?

From: W.Lichtenberger (w_l@gmx.net)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 18:11:30 EST

Hello,

I believe as well that SJ saved Apple's independence. But seen in this light,
the possibly only thing to save Newt's Survival would have been to sell off
Newton, Inc. And _this_, outspoken & somehow understandably, Apple would never do
because of some "crown jewels" embedded in Newt's ROM like a Newt QuickDraw or
somesuch.
So the Newt met its fate - untimely demise pulled back into a company denying
financial and people support, even so far as not to save the state being for
possible future use... read at some time the article "an Ex-NOS-Engineer
speaks" on PDA Talk, http://discussions.pdadash.com/Forum1/HTML/001708.html.

But we always have to keep in mind: if we're going to lay guilt at anyone's
door (as at least i'm very fast to do), we have to be pretty sure of our
historical facts, namely, when exactly happened
1) the start of the developers' exodus from Newton, inc./the Newton division,
2) M$' investment in Apple (another rumour cause ;-),
3) Jobs' start as interim CEO,
4) the turnaround in Newton profits (i understand that began with the MP2x00 sales)
and surely half a dozen more (to us) important historical facts inside or
around Apple and Newton, inc.
Precise dates, anyone?

If we're sure about those facts, then we can (tongue in cheek ;-)
1) seriously start enjoying rumours,
2) start new threads in alt.history.what-if and alt.conspiracy

On Sunday, March 26, 2000, 9:27:29 AM, Ed wrote:
EK> Rumours....schmourors (try pronouncing that!)
8^)
EK> I have lost all faith in Apple's ability to "wow" me...

Yeah, i'd quite like to see a "wow" product from Apple, again.

[...]
EK> And yes, I agree. Jobs increased the stock price...and I made a killing

see "Apple's independence" above...
[...]
EK> I just don't believe any of the purposeful mis-information that comes from
EK> Apple...and honestly? I don't believe that Jobs has any tricks up his sleeve
EK> left to wow me with...but, I'm an open minded man...and I sit here with a
EK> devout agnostic stance...so I say to Jobs and Apple, "show me, wow me,
EK> let's see if you still 'got-it'"

The original Mac was a "wow" product. The Newt was, too. Both were abysmally
slow and underpowered in the first incarnations for their intended uses, but
served perhaps a most important purpose:
They convinced people to support their development into something implicitly
(& vastly more) useful.

As i understand it, Apple (and IBM, and surely others i don't know of)
expressly have departments that exist & work solely to pull wild ideas into
feasibility (please excuse my wild english usage ;-).
So, even if those departments don't continually announce their continued
existence & well-being, i don't quite give up hope yet.

regards,
-- W.Lichtenberger mailto:w_l@gmx.net

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!