Re[3]: NTLK Re: New Apple PDA?

From: W.Lichtenberger (w_l@gmx.net)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 18:44:42 EST

Hello,

On Sunday, March 26, 2000, 11:22:03 AM, RobertRuff wrote:
Rac> For me the perfect PDA would be only 3/32" larger or less than the size
Rac> of the screen, preferably color so I could keep family photos but 256 greys
Rac> would be a nice improvement, and no smaller than the Newton screen and
Rac> include all of Newton's capabilities with the addition of improved wireless
Rac> internet / built in phone capability and plug and play GPS as well as more
Rac> Ram a meg would be nice and retain the two card slots updated to the most
Rac> useful form.
Rac> This isn't too much to ask now is it?

See
1) the Symbian "Quartz" reference design, german magazine c't 6/2000, p.64,
2) the Samsung (?) "Yopi", a StrongARM PDA model running Linux.

Both (i believe) promise up to date technical features like
     a colour display (ouch! battery life??),
     some tens of MB RAM (32? 64?),
     good stereo audio (MP3 as well) through headphone jacks & external Amplifiers,
     WAP & HTML browsing,
     a Java VM,
     maybe: a cell phone (triple band),
            a GPS client (Ericsson Communicator?),
            Bluetooth & IrDA wireless LAN connectivity.

PCMCIA or PC Card slots are (if i'm not mistaken) conspicuously absent from the
spec's, though...

Psion, the main Symbian founder, has a strong history of building StrongARM
devices. 8^)))

Read the c't "news ticker" (http://www.heise.de/) and look for details in search
machines...

regards,